Saturday, July 23, 2011

4 am, Cops and a Man in Black

At 4 am I was awake laying in my bed with my baby boy waiting for him to finish pooping so I could change him when I heard what sounded like a knock at our door. Robb was down the hall sleeping with Toby in his bed. My first thought was that is was just one of my cats making a noise that sounded like a knock. Then the doorbell rang. I jumped out of my bed and went to get Robb. When I got to Toby's room he was getting up having heard it as well. It rang again and then a persistent knock. Robb was going to be getting up at 5 am to go to a training so I asked him if someone was maybe picking him up for that. He said no and threw his shirt on to run down the stairs to see who in the world was knocking at 4 am.

He flipped on the porch light and looked through the peep hole. There were two younger kids (maybe around 19 years old) one boy and one girl. He opened the door. They told him they were out walking and saw a guy dressed all in black that had broken into some cars just jump over our back fence into our back yard. Robb almost left the door wide open to go check but I was standing at the top of the stairs and immediately thought that they could all be in on it and walk right in so I told him to close the door and lock it before he checked. I went to get my phone to call 911.

As I'm calling 911 Robb is trying to see outside to see if he can see anything but because our back lights don't work he couldn't see a thing and I didn't want him to open the door or try to go out there. The police were at our house in less then two minutes because apparently they were already in the area trying to find this guy. They pulled up with their lights shining on our house and got out their police dogs and let them loose in our back yard. Me and Robb were inside peeking out the window. They never found the guy, at least not in our back yard. Whether or not they did after they left here I guess we'll never know.

I told Robb I guess it's time to look into getting our alarm set up. The house is already wired for one. Either way, I feel like in some way or another we are now initiated and officially Californians.

2 comments: